Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Optiplex 760

I recently got hired full time at Universal Hardware. One of my first jobs was to buy two new computers, one of them for me. Since I needed to get a lot of work done quick I kinda just bought what I could get.

This happened to be Dell Optiplex 760 slim case computers. After I was almost done setting up the computers just like I wanted them, I noticed the sound didn't work right. When playing a mp3 file or playing youtube video the sound would stutter and skip a couple times during one song. I tried updating the driver, uninstalling some software, playing different files, all to no avail. I complained to my supplier and he tried 3 more of the same model. All had the stuttering skipping sound problem. I was ready to throw those computers out the window, or at least send them back. My supplier spent two hours with dell techs, they claimed to have never heard of the problem before.

Eventually google helped me out as usual. I found a post with similar problems at adobe website of all places. I had so deselect some C state control in BIOS and it solved the problem. Even though it solved the problem, I'm still frustrated with Dell. When I buy a brand-new business grade computer I want it to work out the box. Now I wasted almost two days trying to get that trash to work.

7 comments:

Domanick Fabro said...

who tell you fu select the C state in bios mien, no blame DELL!

Unknown said...

I had the exact same issue. Dell sent me a GX760 unit....everything worked fine except playing DVD's, Windows Media Player and/or streaming music. All listed above would hiccup, stutter, etc.

I called Dell, after 45 minutes, got to the same spot, Disable the C State Control. Afterwards, system is running extremely well.

Even the Dell tech did not know what the heck that C State Control was.

More than likely, an oversight by Dell engineers not taking in consideration/testing what C State control affects media wise.

Oh well. Funny though, there is not a lot of stuff about C State Control on the web.....new stuff I guess.

Stu

Beth said...

You lost me. But I applied myself and read your post again. I agree, a new computer should be fully functional.... Should be burn Dell?

The Hungry Hillbilly said...

Thank You! Thank You ! Thank You!
I've been trying to solve this issue for over a year and YOU have the solution! I've looked all through several forums and I had almost given up and decided to live with it. Disabling C States did it for me! Now all my video and audio plays smoothly. Someone should give you an award!! A thousand thanks!!

nibb said...

The same problem has been bugging me a lot on my work computer. Just wondering though, is it safe to disable this C State control? I'd like to do this myself but it's a work computer and I'd hate to mess something up... It seems safe but I figured I'd check with y'all.

Domanick Fabro said...

disabling the C state will have no adverse effect on the operating system or the computer itself. its pretty safe.

Anonymous said...

Thank you!!!! I had same problem...
It appears "c state" has something to do with power saving and putting the processor into a semi sleep state. Which results in audio or video stutter problems. I disabled the "c state" option in the bios, my little dell is working great. Dell should have left this disabled as a default. Ooops! Thank you for the post.